Thread: Cream for PN
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Yes, one has to be VERY careful with bears. They are unpredictable.
Brutus looks like a brute all right! I'd be uncomfortable around HIM.

Ours are typically not nearby when we are out...we call them the "shy bears". But for several seasons there was a glut of them and the DNR put out hunting licenses for a while, and that stopped.

We are on an island, so they swim over.

Some of the bears up there have torn the siding off homes, to get in. (we store all food in double plastic air tight containers for that reason). Also one bear one year got so angry when he couldn't find food at a local's home, he trashed her solar lights, which she used to light her driveway. It was a very expensive visit! One year a bear came in the night when I was up there alone, and trashed all my hummingbird feeders. I used a glue to plug the fang holes in them, and managed to limp thru the season that way.

Most of the time the bears come when relatives leave for home up there. They typically put all food out that they don't take back with them. (those that fly are the worst offenders). Then the bear show up to eat the dumped food/crackers/cereal/cookies whatever). This is one reason I like having the deer around. The deer will skoot off for a few days when the bear arrive. That tells me they are near and to be careful.

The deer do not like our black cats. But they are unfazed by other colors. Here is a pic of Oreo watching them last year.
But we have had some does charge our black cats, and also do aggressive postures and sounds when the black ones are out.
They must think the cats are small bears?

The bucket is water for the deer to keep them off our shore where my plants are. They typically drink after using the salt lick. Next to them on the milk crate is a bird bath I made when we discovered the birds liked the bucket...so we put a stick in the bucket for them to perch on. Who would have thought with water everywhere, the birds would love this bird bath so much? But we learned that eventually!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 11-29-2011 at 07:19 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote