View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 10:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Just a Quick Hello and Welcome

Just have a second to dash this off - FYI there is a Workers Compensation forum on this site which should give you scads of information. Good on you, mate for filing a claim, for you should be able to breathe much easier at work with those strong legal protections in place now. Your boss cannot fire you without some serious consequences to the company under the w/c laws. Those laws vary from state to state, so if the work environment continues to be hostile you may need the intervention and protection of a good workers comp attornery. I believe if you call your state's Bar Association you can get a referral. My understanding is that if an attorney takes your case most of them will work on spec and take their fees, expenses, etc. out of monies paid out at the settlement of your claim, but I don't know for sure how it works where you live. TOS can be tough to prove and a controversial diagnosis at best - just FYI. You might get some real peace of mind by consulting a w/c lawyer at this point, but taking no action with one at this early stage despite the bad behavior (keep it documented, though!) because (a) you don't want to tip your hand (b) they'll just go more on the defensive and make it even harder for you to be there.

The other immediate concern is the amount of acute pain and distress you are in, both physically and emotionally. Please know that if relief is not forthcoming you can ask your doctor to put you on temporary disability (I believe under most states' w/c laws this would essentially be a paid leave, but again I can't say for sure), so that you can receive the care you need to get out of the acute flare you are in. Your instincts are correct in that the workplace ergonomics and repetitive activities are no doubt reinjuring you daily. Get to HR asap if your company is large enough to have that in-house, or call the corporate office if no one else is stepping up to the plate: Your employer has a duty to provide the correct ergonomics and to give you the breaks you need (doctors' notes help here) once you put them on notice of your injury (which you have done by virtue of filing the claim).

Whew. OK it seems I am incapable of writing a short post. My apologies - just concerned about you. Sorry we had to meet like this! Good luck with the nerve block, I think it may help in the short run and buy you some time to find the right physical therapist, do some more reading here on TOS, get a gratis legal consult etc.

Hang in there. This is a lot to absorb. We are here to help.

Alison
Sea Pines 50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote