View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 13 days post op from ACDF with 2 level fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrow View Post
Does anybody have experience with surgery for multi-level disc hernations in the cervical spine? What did you have done and how did it go? I have degenerative disc disease, disc bulging, disc-space narrowing, anterior/posterior osteophyte formation at all levels of the cervical spine. Symptoms are the usual tingling in face, back of neck, scalp, arms, hands and torso. Also possible tingling inside the mouth tied to irritation of the trigeminal nerve complex.

I have surgical consults coming up and would love any insights or guidance.

Dbrow
I had my C5, C6 & C7 fused on March 2. I had a lot of your issues, my biggest complaint was the numbness/tingling in my right hand, pain in my right arm and wrist and pain in my traps and shoulders

The surgery was not an easy one, but I'm doing ok. I have no more nerve issues that I know of, still a lot of swelling, still swalling issues from the surgery, and I'm still on narcs for pain at my fusion site and in my shoulder, but it's a different kind of pain. I'm doing pretty good. Nice that I can use my hands again! I would do the surgery again, I'm grateful for the nerve pain to be gone.

My next appt. for a followup and Xrays is not until April 26, which is 8 weeks post op, so I will be wearing my collar until then. I wear it day and night, and shower with it. If it weren't for all the incredible help I got from my husband I would not have survived this, he washes and dries my hair, and helps with so many simple tasks that I was just too weak or not allowed to do.

I have a titanium plate with 6 screws at my fusion, and I chose to use cadaver bone from a bone bank. My incision is healing very nicely, you can hardly see where the stitches were, there is a bit of a scar, but I'm not really concerned about that.

My main issues right now are how uncomfortable it is to have my collar on all the time, especially sleeping, and I still have difficulty swallowing, always feels like a golf ball is stuck in my throat, but other than that I'm doing ok.

good luck with your consults, and I hope all goes well for you!
Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote