View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 04:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessings2You View Post
I've been undertaking this long-neglected project for the past few days. It's upsetting, to say the least. Lots and lots of stuff past (way past) the expiration dates. It's upsetting on MANY levels.

It's upsetting simply because I was raised not to waste food. Letting so much stuff get away from me is like throwing dollar bills out the window.

It's upsetting because, even though I joke about my vintage cooking supplies, it's really pretty embarrassing.

And mostly it's upsetting because it reminds me how long it's been since I did any serious baking. I found seven (yes, seven) jars of maraschino cherries.

Apparently what happened was this: every year since I first got sick I sincerely believed I was going to make spritz cookies for Christmas, and bought a jar of cherries. The next Christmas I couldn't remember when I bought the other jar, so I bought a new one. And couldn't garner the energy to make the cookies AGAIN. For seven years.

Petrified butterscotch chips. Rock-solid flaked coconut. Corn syrup from a grocery store that went out of business years ago. At least some of the stuff the chickens will eat. The rest, just another reminder. *sigh*

Make it a "good Thing" as opposed to a depressing task by combining the expired goods with wet newspaper and potting soil....and soon you will have mulch for your plants, which in turn will grow food!

Alas, you were not wasting food after all, you are just making it better.

-Vic
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (03-16-2011), Kitty (03-17-2011), lefthanded (03-16-2011), NeuroNixed Craig (03-19-2011), SallyC (03-17-2011)