View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Shelly, If the migraines are blood pressure related, your BP will be higher when you have the migraine.

I have had head aches when my blood sugar is low. I have reactive hypoglycemia. That means my glucose level can swing wildly after a sugar ingestion. I also tend to be low blood sugar during fasting ( after 6 hours from having a meal) which lends to head aches. I find that eating small snacks (150 to 250 calories) helps.

For some people, the brain can be insensitive to glucose meaning it does not metabolize glucose properly. The treatment for that is MCT oil (Medium Chain Triglyceride). It is found in coconut oil and as a special supplement of MCT oil. This increases the availability of ketones to nourish the brain. Only nervous tissue can metabolize ketones. Ketones are the food reserve to keep the brain alive during life threatening famine. The ketogenic diet is formulated for this dysfunction that may be associated with seizure activity.

fyi, Prizm lenses are custom fitted by an optometrist who specializes in this need. They refract the image so it fits together better when the brain knits the two images into one. A lot of brain power is used knitting the two images together.

If the eye is weak on convergence (aligning both eyes so the images are better synchronized), the brain has to work extra hard and this stress can cause head aches. My father needed prizm lenses early in his progression in ischemic dementia.

Here is a brief discription of possible causes of convergence insufficiency

<The underlying cause(s) of convergence insufficiency are not clearly established. ..... A connection has been made between accommodative insufficiency and convergence insufficiency. Closed head trauma and lesions in the pretectal area of the brain have been associated with acquired convergence insufficiency. Lesions in the midbrain dorsal to the third cranial nerve nuclei may also cause convergence insufficiency with normal third nerve function.>

Eye struggles can be a pain. I have had them since I was young. I have a very difficult time getting lenses that allow my brain to relax as I see.

A good optometrist will adjust a lens prescription to allow a more comfortable focus. This is sort of a detuning of the prescription. It there is a slight blur, the brain can knit the two images together easier. For brains that cannot filter or gate visual information properly, this may be helpful.

TMI, but that is how my brain damaged works.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Soccergal (03-18-2011)