View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 10:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Cassie!!

Everyone is giving you such great advice -- I'm just gonna add my two cents!

When you PUSH MG, it PUSHES back. So, you have to learn to RELAX when it is acting up. Yeah, I know -- easier said than done. Most of us are type A's.

MG seems to go in cycles -- sort of like a roller coaster. YOU are in a bad spell right now. This "should" pass. My exacerbations tend to last about three months. Yes, I know that sounds like a LONG time -- but, we don't have ALS or MS or RA -- comparatively speaking, I have convinced myself that I have won the autoimmune "lottery". Attitude is everything when dealing with MG, IMHO.

If I "behave" -- eat right, get plenty of rest, stay calm, stay AWAY from sick people , stay hydrated, and take my Mesty regularly, I am "ok". I can no longer work -- BUT, I do have "quality" of life. I am content -- and feel blessed. I go at a slower pace -- listen to my body -- and have figured out ways to do the things I want and need to do -- although some of them take MUCH longer than normal. (So, WHO cares if it takes all week to get the laundry done???)

I have ALSO learned that it is OK to let others do things for me -- and to ask for help. I am NOT nearly as independent as before. Life is different, now -- but, OK!!

I've GOT the handicapped tag -- and I use it! I personally don't care WHO looks at me -- or how. (Abby, are you listening??) Fortunately, I live in a town where everyone knows about my condition and is very understanding and supportive -- but, even if they were not, I WOULD take CARE of myself!!

Cassie, it is OK to grieve -- I think it is safe to say that we have all done it -- some of us are still in the stages of grief. So, cry, moan, groan...............allow yourself to FEEL the pain -- it is cathartic. In a way, your "old self" has "died". But, a "new you" is alive............and the "new you" will be OK!! Just give yourself a chance!!
DesertFlower (03-18-2011)