Thread: D-Ribose
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Thanks for the link. I have always had sore muscles, poor response to exercise and a "suspected" fibro diagnosis. But I just am not severe enough to be considered a Fibro patient.

I think the Ribose is good for anyone suspected of low mitochondrial functions...and PN and some other chronic pain states. Some drugs damage mitochondria...like statins do for lowering cholesterol. So many people may be developing low functions, where the ribose may help. Not just the Fibro patients.

I found that I do well on lower doses after 6mos of 7.5grams a day. In fact, I don't use it every day anymore. I think this summer I will however, being more active.

There are researchers who say simple aging results in low mito functions, and there are supplements for this, like Juvenon.
If you go to Juvenon.com you'll see graphics and papers about using acetyl carnitine and lipoic acid as mito supports. Both of these also help PN, it turns out.

That link I gave you to my thread has some information for diabetics. I'd like to expand on that. If any here try the ribose, be aware that some glucose monitoring meters, would read its presence and give a false high reading. The only meter I know now that is unaffected by this is One Touch. This is because the other meters use a different chemical to read the glucose. (it includes all sugars, even those in artificial sweeteners). The One Touch only reads glucose in the blood.
This post has a link that describes this chemistry in more detail.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post748576-2.html

Ribose itself does not raise glucose and has shown no effect on diabetics in gram ranges of 10gr/day.

I really don't think really high doses are necessary, but to start when you may be really low, you need to be patient. I found this a very SLOW supplement to show effects. But once it gets rolling you do feel so much better if you need it. You should know by the end of the first tub if you buy the 8oz one.

It also helped me with sleeping problems.

Thanks for the link!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote