View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Strange...

Hi,

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but 23andMe only (at this time) tests for the LRRK2 mutation which only results in late onset PD. Chances are as a young onsetter, you would not have the mutation. My results came back negative.

As Lindy suggests though, I would highly encourage you to sign up. They have already made 2 PD related genetic discoveries which will be published in academic journals. Plus as new tests relating to genetics and PD are made more available, they will use our original DNA sample to test us and update our health profile. It also tells you drugs you may respond to or not and this may actually one day factor into a doctor's decision on what drug may work best for you. It will give you scores of data on other potential health risks, but not all is doom and gloom...it will tell tell you if you have that gene that causes aspagarus to not get along with your urine.

I also want to note on difference in UK vs. States on genetic testing. My dad does not have PD but has had a bilateral hand tremor for many, many years. I learned his father also had an undiagnosed hand tremor. I started with a mild hand tremor but the red flag for me is that only side affected. I went five years being told ET then my whole world changed.I've asked 2-3 neuros why I could not participate in genetic studies and their criteria is you must have one direct relative with PD diagnosis. It's maddening because it is so clear to me this is some sort of spectrum disorder and my pop and gramps got off rather easily. So you have neuro actually encouraging testing, while I feel I am living proof of some sort of genetic basis for ET and PD; I come close to refusing to leave their office until they agree to test me. I have a little boy who deserves to know. I think largely the difference is your health is not dominated by insurers who only cover you if healthy.

One of my neuro's responses to my inquiry on genetic test was comic, he said "oh, genetic mutations are very rare" and I am thinking "well, so is a tremor and PD in a young lady"

As for length of time, I would call the office and ask why. That seems really suspect but maybe that is more prevalent in UK. I'd be happy just for someone to offer at this point! Good luck on that. Here is a good, clear overview of genetics and PD...

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/par...-disease#genes

-Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote