View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default The standard answer to your question of the day..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atma Namaste View Post
In retrospect, the first six years was really no problem --- just the right hand tremor, take the Sinemet and for most of the day you don't have Parkinson's. Then I started feeling dis-integrated, and it got a little challenging. Primarily it was my right side that was affected, but could compensate with the left. With the reference of Janice Walton Hadlock's research, I was able to reduce the Sinemet to 400mg a day, lessening the dyskenesia and falling. At the ten year mark, my left side was suddenly affected, too, and I began having real problems turning over in bed at night, loosing my balance and falling, feet curling up making it difficult to walk.

My question of the day is: Why did it take ten years to develop in my left side?

It's wonderful to have found this community of deep thinking researchers -- there is so much nonsense out there regarding Parkinson's!
Is that the degree of loss of dopamine cells in your left putamen (location of the substantia nigra) hit the critical 75-80% mark earlier than those in your right. Remember that the right and left hemisheres affect opposite sides of the body. It is generally accepted that each of us actually had the disease process occurring many years before the appearance of symptoms that send us to the neurologist, and that those symptoms, whether tremor or postural instability and bradykinesia, only manifest themselves after the loss of most of the dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra.

I think most of the people here would advise that the best things you can do for yourself at this point are; eliminate stress, eat healthy food, get as much sleep as you need (or can) and EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE.

Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote