View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default HI Seams!!!

When my husband was on the Fentanyl patch (for almost 18 months), he wound up with a side effect called Taste Perversion. Even though he has been off the patch for about 3 and half years (closer to 4 I think), he has to make every single thing he eats much sweeter.

I never under stood why he had to put 6 sweet n lows in his coffee (now he uses Splenda and he's down to 3 packets.

But I have to put honey and a little splenda on his sweet potatoes. And he eats his spaghetti with no salt tomato sauce (of couse with some splenda on it.

He won't eat anything that is not sweetened to his satisfaction because he can't taste things. I once asked this question on the boards, got the reply about Taste Perversion, ran it by his pharmacist and one of his doctors and of course the doctors never know more than anybody on these boards, believe me (except for Dr. Fred, who we both adore).

But thankfully, it never affected Body Odor. And I'm glad I came across this thread. My son is on topamax. It's one of the meds he is on besides zoloft, trazadone, and god knows what other meds he takes. He has a mood disorder, and aspergers disorder and the last time I asked him, I could swear he was on Topamax. I remember saying Why on earth are you on Topamax and he said "mom, it's effective for many things and it's given as a med for certain conditions".

I just sent him a portion of this thread. That's all he needs. To "smell bad" besides his other problems.

I bet he'll send me an e-mail saying "I could care less how I smell to others". That's been his attitude for the past 5 years.

But you wrote a valuable post and I thank you.

regards,
Melody

P.S. If it is indeed the topamax, maybe they can switch you to something that will have you smelling "nicer".

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote