View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Hi there again.

Wow, you have certainly been on a rollercoaster of a life haven't you? Many of my friends have epilepsy and seizure disorders. My grandfather was an epileptic (but the whole family kept that a big secret and I only found this out when I was an older adult). I have no idea why but it was all hush hush. Never understood that. When my mother told me I said "why doesn't anyone mention this?" and I got this stare from her as if to say "Are you crazy?"

I will never understand that part of my family . But this was 40 or so years ago.

And my Aunt Sally who is now a thriving 87 year old and completely deaf, well she has had a seizure disorder for YEARS.

I know for years she was on dilantin and when she has her seizures, she falls down and gets two black eyes. She does not get them very often.

I once asked her "when they tested you, did you get a diagnosis of epilepsy?" and she said "no," She said she has had every test under the sun and it was all negative.

Brains scans, etc.

They never found anything. She's not going to do anything now because she plays cards with her buddies every single night and she's enjoying her 87 years on this earth.

So I wish you well, and believe me, others will come along and give you their expertise.

Take care

Melody
Hi again,

I'm not surprised by your family's reaction to this. Good to hear that they're still functional ...

My family is in complete denial about the fact that I have a celiac gene (DQ2)and since they're my family they might too .. Several of them know that if they eat wheat, they'll get the runs, etc but chose to take medications instead.

I can't blame them really .. who wants to have an illness or go on a special diet ? Not me ..

I'm looking forward to hearing others experiences with this. If it turns out that I need to take a med I'm ok with it ... Actually, based on how good I feel today, this may help more than I thought ...

tc ... Marcia
Marciab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote