View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

These accounts may be miracles but are more likely the result of focal injuries and/or recovery to a much less that 100%.

The main stream medical community considers a 100% recovery to mean the person can go on to lead a normal life. They are referring to someone who is:
!. Fortunate to be alive.
2. Likely had catastrophic disabilities immediately after recovering from the coma.
3. Likely endured many hours and/or even months to years of therapy.
4. Likely have very abnormal Neuro Psych Assessments
5. Likely have undergone personality changes and mood struggles
6. Have learned many coping mechanisms, work-arounds, and other accommodations.
7. Have a propensity to struggle under mental stress.
8. Will be predisposed to Alzheimer's and other dementias during later life, as early as 40's.
9. Is one out of hundreds who did not do as well with injuries that by all observations were less traumatic/intense.
10. Did not suffer just a concussion but rather a severe traumatic brain injury that left them with a steep climb back to any form of normal life.

They all likely have symptoms that are similar to those endured on a daily basis by many on this forum. Those symptoms are small in comparison to the level of improvement they have achieved.

They lost 90% of their abilities and recovered 80% of those lost abilities. They are still at a net loss of 20%. People with prolonged PCS have lost 10 or 20% of their abilities to function in a normal life and recovered only a small percentage.

I am not trying to rain on the parade of others. I am trying to explain that true recovery is not just a physical recovery but also must include changes in how we live our lives so that we can minimize the impact of those functions lost. If we lose 20% of our function and recover half of what we lost, we can make lifestyle and behavioral changes to live as though we recovered most of the rest. I can be at 100% most of the time. I do this by avoiding the situations that would cause me to crash back to 20%.

We all are learning many new ways of doing things because we can't do those things the old way. The more we apply ourselves to learn new ways to get things done, the more it appears that we have recovered fully. Just don't ask us to do things the old way. We will likely fail miserably.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ConcussedinPA (03-21-2011)