Thread: ACDF Surgery
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ACDF surgery - donor bone versus grafted bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC1977 View Post
Alrighty...I''m here because I went to the doctors about two months ago for a stiff neck. Two days later I had severe weakness in my right arm. Back to the doctor, several tests later turns out I have a herniated disc C4-5 could be more so the doc says. What I want to know is if anyone has received a similar diagnosis and put off the surgery for any extended period for any reason. Any input would help greatly.
Hi
I'm so glad to find this discussion. I have cervical disc disease at 2 levels - not severe but moderate, but the pain is bothering me so bad I have decided to go ahead with surgery on April 21st. I've seen 4 docs, 2 suggested foraminotomy but when I went back to the last NS, he told me that the foraminotomy will most likely not help my neck pain. I was hoping for the easier foraminotomy procedure.

A doc friend of mine has told me absolutely go with my own bone if I go the route of the fusion. I hate the idea of hip surgery on top of neck surgery. Also 10 days before my neck surgery I am having wrist surgery (want to have this all done during the same work absence).

Can anyone tell me what the hip pain is like if you give your own bone?

Also, my doc friend is sending me to see one more NS next week just to get one more opinion if we go ahead with the foraminotomy or ACDF. My doc friend says I could always start with the foraminotomy and then move forward with the ACDF later. I hate the idea of another surgery down the road tho...

I have moderate weakness in my arm on the left side. Doc says no nerve damage yet and is not pushing me into surgery. I just can't stand the pain anymore and I've done all the conservative stuff including epidurals, one in particular really helped me for almost a month, so they feel the found the pain generator at C5-6.

Can't wait to be pain free, but I'm getting scared reading some of these posts... sounds like its a gamble with the surgery!

Diane
diane54 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote