View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 12:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, on the bright side you won't find a dog mess in there! *Giggles*

I've only had the smell things on a few occasions and heaven forbid it be a pleasant one. I went on a 3 hour 'where did you poo' hunt in my house, giving my dog 'the look' frequently.

A VEEG is basically an EEG but you stay in the hospital, sometimes only for a day and sometimes up to a week. They will keep you hooked up and on video the entire time, along with being hooked up to an EKG monitor and frequently having your blood pressure and temp. monitored as well.

They will normally try to trigger seizures, such as sleep deprive you (this one had me enraged I was so tired and they kept waking me up). They will possibly try to load you up on coffee, and even offer alcohol (they did for me, but I wouldn't as I don't drink). They will put you on an exercise bike along with various other things known to commonly trigger seizures.

I have a thread somewhere around here which I posted my VEEG experience. Not to scare anyone, but to make them aware of the 'down sides' that they don't tell you about. It's like getting a shot and they say 'it will feel like a pinch'. I'm here to say 'it will feel like you're getting a shot with a needle'.

With Kaiser, you can trick them up a bit. Trust me, I had them and I am in SoCal. I was going to the Kaiser building near Irvine and they did do one of the best EEG's I have ever had (in terms of being thorough, kind and not scraping my skin off). The Neurologist, however, was a moron. What I did, was get a referral to a Neurologist and used it at Hoag Hospital, and they DO take Kaiser, you just have to pressure them.

I'm not familiar with the area you're in, but my friend with MS has an amazing neurologist who is with UCI.

I have to pay around $3,000 a year to keep my Aetna going through Cobra now but it still gives me the open access plan to basically go to any doctor I want. I asked my employer to change me to Aetna because kaiser is not fast with anything. Since they have their own buildings, staff, etc. They had me on a FOUR month wait for a 5 minute injection for my sciatica and bursitis in my hip. They had a similar wait time for Neurology. I did love my primary doctor with Kaiser though, she really cracked down on my neuro there.

If you feel they are being pokey, call and complain to your doctor about it. It worked for me.

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote