View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus & Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet View Post
I found you by doing word search "pain and altitude" - hope this helps:
3 years ago my trigeminal nerve was damaged - I've had many TX - nothing helps. EXCEPT, when I fly and 737s and we get above 30,000 feet my pain totally disappears. I still have the numbness in my face (nerve injured during surgery) but ABSOLTELY no pain. I've told all my MDx (including neurologists) and they don't have a clue. Thanks for standing your ground - doctors are limited in knowledge. STAND ON YOUR TRUTH.
May God bless you and your family.
I found your post very interesting!!

My 80 year old mother was diagnosed with dementia caused by NPH (Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus) late last year. I suspected that she has NPH and this was detected due to my insistence on her having a CT scan, seeing a good Neurologist and having a MRI scan.

I took both my elderly parents on a two week cruise to New Zealand a month ago, spending most of the time pushing Mum around in a wheelchair,
I thought her mental state at the time was like that of a three year old child.

After returning to Adelaide late at night from Melbourne by plane (a one hour flight), Mum pushed past me when we were in the laundry together.

I asked her what she was doing and she said she was going outside to help bring in the suitcases.

With that she powered out the door, down the step and strode out to the car, bringing back a small suitcase, which she lifted up and brought into the house.

All this occurred without her using a walking stick or shuffling.

She was behaving like the Mum I knew ten years ago, both physically and mentally. Sadly this only lasted for a short time, but it has given me such hope for the Shunt Operation which we hope she has soon!

My four sisters and I all thought Mum did not have Alzheimer's, even though her primary care doctor was not receptive to this idea at first.

This type of behaviour has occurred each time after she has flown in the last five years.

Have you or anyone heard of this phenomenon before.

P.S. We live in Australia
Nonna Gloria is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote