View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggle24 View Post
I was wondering if you could briefly list things that aided in your recovery (medical interventions, medications, nutrition, lifestyle changes, etc.). Were you involved heavily in any type of therapies, or was it mainly a waiting game giving your body time to heal itself?
Unfortunately, I live in Canada and although healthcare is universal, it is extremely slow and in my families experience, very unhelpful. My neuologist didn't give me any advice other than to wait it out, rest, and return to normal activities "when you feel ready".

As far as lifestyle changes, one thing I do regret was continuing to work. I actually increased the amount I was working in an attempt to "feel normal". I wanted to hide my pain, which I sure was the worst thing I could do at the time as working onset a multitude of pain, where I would almost pass out each and everyday. Looking back, I should have taken plenty of time off of both work and school. Although my parents constantly told me I should be and it was crazy that I wasn't, I didn't want to take their advice. "Feeling normal" was the only thing I wanted to cling on to. If I could give you advice as far as lifestyle changes, I would eject yourself from regular activities as much as possible. Your body needs to rest to heal, and from what I understand, I was only doing myself harm by pushing myself on a daily basis.

As far as medications, I know I should have been on anti-depressents for a few months. I had what I thought to be this "horrible emptiness in my chest" that never went away, 24/7. It was the first time in my life a suicidal thought went through my head. If you begin to experience anything depression like, I would advise you to tell your doctor.

I was also on sleeping pills for many months due to my insomnia. I never got tired, and my body physically could not put itself to sleep. This was a huge help.

I also underwent physical therapy messages and chiropratic. I can't comment on the chiropratic results because progress was so slow. I can say that physical therapy and massages from my mother helped me temporarily, which was great in and of itself.

As far as nutrition, I didn't make any notable changes. I got into a ritual of having a chocolate milkshake everyday, as it was one of the few escapes I had from my reality.

Very recently, I became aware of vision therapy which I have recently started on and it looks promising. It is aiding in my visual recovery. It consists of a series of eye exercises which I do from my computer at home.

I wish I could provide you with more of a healing plan. Mine mainly consisted of rest and time. It was my experience that my recovery was, by and large, beyond my control. Rest undoubtedly was a huge help. I owe my recovery to my parents. They would sit with me for hours while I rambled on about nothing. My best friend as well. He was extremely supportive.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
blackzest is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brenda1964 (01-17-2019)