View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Just some thoughts . . .

Definitely look in to the senior/disabled services. Here it is free. The downside, you are on their time schedule. In other words, they drop you off or pick you up but you may end up getting somewhere early and then have to wait for a while to be picked up depending on their schedule.

Yes, it may be cheaper to get a taxi but here again, you have to wait and some places want 24 hour notice. But, I personally like having my car. I may not drive it much but if there were an emergency with my kids, DBF, or family I want to be able to just go and not wait for a taxi. My car is paid for in full so I only pay insurance and gas.

Also, like you I want my kids to have their own live and do the things that they want and I like my independence. But I think it is important for them to learn to care for others (whether it be me or someone else). It is a life lesson in compassion and love. So, if DSs want to help you out every now and then, I would say let them. Most of the other time you are independent and will do things on your own. They want to do this for you and makes them feel good plus you get some time with them. It can be a good thing and a win-win situation.

Like Barb, I too am concerned that you would isolate yourself. While I enjoy my alone time, I need to get out of the house at the very minimum once a week. This past flare I was not able to do that and it really got to me. I finally have some energy and less pain that I am planning on my once a week outing. I'll up it as I start doing better. Remember, you are a kind and compassionate person. So, make sure you go out there and share that. You never know how your kindness, whether it be words or actions, can change a person's life.

There is also the city bus. This is probably one of the least expensive but more time consuming getting places and it doesn't always drop you off exactly where you need to go.

Let us know what you come up with.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (03-22-2011), Dejibo (03-22-2011), ewizabeth (03-22-2011), hollym (03-24-2011), Kitty (03-22-2011), SallyC (03-22-2011)