View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sounds like you're in considerable discomfort.

Why do they think it's autoimmune? Do you have a positive ANA or other markers? Have any of your blood tests been positive?

There is one thing I found helpful. I have a port and used to get IVIG. It is fairly common to use this for autoimmune neuropathy. I did this for 11 years. I won't say it worked wonders, but I certainly felt better then vs. now. I can longer take it after a severe case of aseptic meningitis (from a rare reaction to the IVIG).

You have a huge load of pain meds on board...many that can be causing the autonomic symptoms you're experiencing. I take numerous meds for my cardiac function (and have a pacemaker also). Midodrine and florinef are common to use for low BP. Beta blockers can help the tachy heart rates. I also take domperidone from Canada (not available in the US) for my gastroparesis.

I would ask your doctor whether you're a candidate for IVIG. It's not an instant cure...takes months of treatment to start seeing results. Also ask whether nerve blocks are an option. Being that I know my DRG is enlarged, I won't do any nerve blocks and risk more inflammation...but it may be worth asking your neuro or a pain mgmt doctor (like an anesthesiologist) in your case.

I would definitely stay away from immune suppressants unless you have identified the AI disease.

Certainly others will come along to give you some ideas on pain control as well.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
adelina (03-22-2011)