View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Tongue I understand

Try not to get too depressed. At least you have mainly nice weather. I had my surgery 12/9. Winter was horrible. Try to get out and walk as much as you can. Focus on your posture. Did you see your surgeon at all as of yet. I saw mine at 2 or 3 weeks post op. By this time I had weaned myself off of the major pain meds and was only taking muscle relaxer and hydrocodonce as needed. If you can try to wean yourself off of the oxycontin since I think that is the strongest of the meds. But only if you are not miserable. Actually you should talk to the surgeon if you feel you still need that much pain meds. It took me a while to feel better. I think it was the 6 week mark that I finally started to feel like myself. Until then I was still sleeping on the couch and only getting a few hours of sleep at a time. I couldn;t eat much either since I was having swallowing issues.

Do you only have a hard collar or also a soft collar. I had a hard one for a few days and then switched to a soft collar. Much more comfortable. I was told at 3 weeks to wean myself off of that also. Which I tried to do. When I was home on the couch I sat with my head back and no collar. It felt nice. I was told that being without the collar strengthened the muscles. I think it is true. Do you have a plate and screws, if so that will keep your neck stable and safe. I felt much better when I did not wear the collar. I still wear it when I sleep and I am at 14 weeks. When my neck is very sore I put it back on. I had to work in front of a computer for 4 hours today and was hurting badly. I wore the collar, took meds, iced my neck and relaxed.

I know it is tough, but try and stay positive. Get out and walk as much as you can. Do something or yourself : get your nails done, buy some flowers...something to put a smile on your face. You are not alone.
Hope this email helps.
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote