View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default different answer from our guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_w View Post
a neuro told me several years ago that light exercise would get you on but also use it up more quickly.

More quickly than what?

We actually asked our neuro about this a couple years ago, and he said the opposite! I have heard that a light walk can help reduce your on time, for us, it sometimes helps the sinemet kick in faster.

What I read the article to say is that they expected there to be more dopamine readings in the brain when the rats moved around because, well, they were moving around, and movement requires more dopaminethan non movement (or so we are currently lead to believe, I personally think there is much more to being able to move than just dopamine).

But there was less..to me, this indicates that movement does NOT "use up" dopamine, especially not faster.

I do know that more and more docs are urging their patients to exercise as much as they are able. Why? Why does exercise help PD? And why does it help ALL people with PD? Most drugs/treatments only help some of the people with PD, some of the time, for some of the symptoms. But apparently not exercise, it helps with everything, and it helps everybody with PD. Makes one wonder.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (03-26-2011)