View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 10:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default thank you.... and I believe you're correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie99 View Post
Hi Cathie,

I am 6 weeks post double disectomy (lumbar spine), with partial foot drop and I am depressed too. I think it may be a natural reaction. I was feeling very injured and all alone. Though I had support, what i wanted was someone to mommy me. LOL (that's never going to happen with my lot.) Someone told me the further away you get from the surgery the better you will feel. 3 months is usually what it takes. Also if you are taking oxy... I took it for 4 weeks and had anxiety the day after my last pill. Anything you take for 4 weeks can cause a bit of withdrawel. It's better to wean yourself off gradually.

Good Luck!
Aussie
I think you're right, after searching around on the internet and talking to a few others, I may have been trying to wean myself off the oxy's a bit too quickly, I've been taking them for 8 months, so I definately need to do it slowly, I was trying hard to get off them and it was causing more pain and lots of depression and tears. I've gone from taking very high doses before surgery, then weaning off to lower amounts, then back up because of surgery, now trying to come down again... it's brutal. I think it's playing with my emotions.

The best thing about this forum is the feeling you get from not being the only one going through what you are... my father had his lumbar spine fused and has suffered with your drop foot for 10 years now, he battles with it daily also. He too told me to stop trying to rush myself into healing too quickly.

I'm trying to stay positive, some days I just feel like lying there and sleeping until I can be my old self again. It's such a frustrating experience to loose one's independance.

I hope you find relief from the drop foot, my father tells me that bothers him more then his fusion. Especially in the winter months.

Thank you for the positive thoughts... working hard on my smile this evening.
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote