Thread: MMN with CB
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 1 year, no improvement

Well, now I've been on IVIg for almost a year. I have been to the Mayo Clinic and have had the MMN diagnosis confirmed. I don't have any improvement in my symptoms; my Mayo neurologist says that a reasonable expectation is to not have any worsening, I would be lucky to see any improvement. He's got me on a monthly dose of .4 g/kilogram. This started in November, four months ago. Prior to that, my local neurologist had me on 1 g/kilogram. I'm going back to the Mayo in a month, and will talk to him about possibly upping the dose.

In the meantime, I've been doing a lot of reading about ketogenic diets. It's been used since the 1920s to treat epilepsy, and current research is aiming at Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and even ALS. Ketone bodies appear to have pretty good neuroprotective effects. Having already been on a low-carb diet for over two years, it's not a giant leap for me, and I figure it can't hurt anything, provided care about side effects is taken.

I've also run across some information about progesterone antagonists helping to remyelinate peripheral nerves. again, this is pretty preliminary research. Anybody know about this?
twitchyfirefly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote