View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 11:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Here - Need Some Help

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and am hoping you all might help me discern if I might have TOS.

I'm 37, female. Mom of three kids, my two youngest are 2 and 1. I have been constantly lifting children for four years and I think I've just taken a beating, physically, from it.

I began having issues w/ my balance back in December, and my vision was wacky (not quite double vision, but not "on" as it should be).

My current symptoms are:
I have shoulderblade pain on left side. I have an exceptionally painful area in the front of my neck, very tender to the touch. I have numbness that burns and sets in at night, right as I try drifting to sleep. I have neck pain, the back/base of my skull feels full on and off.

I have left arm weakness (and even some leg weakness).

I have been to neurologist. MRI of brain was clear. Follow up w/ her yesterday was pretty useless. Even though I told her of my new latest symptoms. She set up a nerve test for my left arm, but she didn't really seem interested in what I am experiencing.

I am trying PT for first time tonight. I hope the therapist can trouble shoot my pain and perhaps be more compassionate than the neuro.

I am going to a pain management doc who works for a spine surgeon for a one hour evaluation tomorrow morning.

I have been told back in Dec that I had perhaps a "virus" because of my weird symptoms. But I have also been told by a massage therapist that I have "alot of soft tissue issues going on". She said this while doing trigger pt therapy which was very tender almost painful, but not quite.

I asked what she meant by that and she said, "You have a lot of knots that might be pressing on your nerves."

Why don't neurologists take this pinched nerve idea seriously? I am frustrated. I think I have a lot of referred pain, too. Just really not myself, not strong. Feeling weak physically.

Sometimes I get numbess in my jaw, left side. Comes and goes, nothing too inhibiting, but it's there.

Will the phy therapist be more understaning if I tell him I am assuming it might be TOS? Hoping the spinal doc can be of help, too. I want an MRI of spine/neck.

I think there is some nerve impingement, though I don't know.

Any help or suggestions or experience is appreciated! I am not sure what to do next? Maybe a vascular surgeon for ultrasound of neck?
WonderWhatItIs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote