View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearnst View Post
My wife suffered a stroke on jan 20th. I filed for her ss disability and promptly got a letter saying she did not have enough credits to qualify. She has not worked since 1998 because she was medically retired from Federal Express. filed for disability back then but was denied.

I read on her SS statement that you need 37 credits to qualify for disability benefits and 20 of those have to be in the last 10 years. How can she earn credits when she could not work because of prior medical limitations.

Now, because of the stroke she cannot talk and has no use of her right arm or leg.

Do we have a case if we appeal or is the 20 credits earned in the last 10 years a real sticking point. This really sucks, she worked, paid into SS and now when she needs it she probably stands no chance of getting her disability.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Did you try filing under your number? If you have enough credits that may be the way to go. If not she is entitled to SSI only. There is no doubt she is disabled. You need to appeal right away. She at least needs to get on medicaid. If you go to DCF they will help you at least get medical help until you can get things straight with SS.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (03-29-2011)