View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmell View Post
I am from Canada too, and boy can I RELATE. Neurologists, though smart and well educated on the brain, have NO idea of the implications of concussions. None whatsoever.
It's unreal isn't it? My neurologist supposedly sees concussion victims "all the time" yet he had no real advice what so ever to give me. No information, no possible symptoms, no danger signs. He just told me, "you'll know when your ready". When I asked him how long concussion symptoms could last, he said 18 months but because I was not knocked out, it wouldn't be more than a few months.

Quote:
Seriously Canada, get a grip. One of our great Canadian heroes (Sidney Crosby) has been out for MONTHS following his head injury. IS THIS WHAT IT TAKES TO GET SOME ATTENTION THESE DAYS? I am sad this has happened to him at such a young age...my age actually...but he is starting to bring much needed publicity to the CORRECT management of concussions
Amen. I love Sid, as well as hockey. As unfortunate as his injury is, I hope it will be much needed attention to an issue that is getting out of control in the NHL, among other places. He's been out for months, with little to any indicators that he'll be playing again this season. The lack of knowledge and correct management is lacking immensely, I agree.

Quote:
5 weeks after my concussion I was experiencing vertigo...and my doctor said it was anxiety and told me to go for a run. A RUN??? SERIOUSLY?? After a head injury. She spent that much time in medical school and had no idea that if I actually went for that run it could have been enough to cause second-impact syndrome. Drives me bonkers.
Wow, just wow. I would hope this would be an MD and not an neurologist. My MD had no helpful advice at all along my recovery. She was totally confused. I thought I times she didn't believe my symptoms because she was giving me a hard time when I was requesting continuation of my sleeping meds.

My father recently had a horrible spell, when he was in excruciating pain, bed ridden for almost a year. Doctors suspected he might have had cancer but could not locate the source of his pain or the stressor. In the end, my mother's non-stop research on the internet solved his problem. Turns out ten minutes of groin exercises a day is all he needs to stay pain free. Thank you Canadian medical system.

My mom, for the last seven years has struggled with Lyme Disease. Canada does not recognize it as an illness. She has been off work for two years often times in crippling pain, forced into bed 24/7. Our insurance company, Sun Life, recently denied her coverage and we're suing their ***. My mom is finally on a road to recovery, but it was through self diagnosis and research. The Canadian doctors were useless.

Combine that with my recent PCS and hell I went through without any support whatsoever from our medical community. Oh my, how lovely our medical system is.

/rant

(Sorry for that, but you started it Carmell )
blackzest is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote