Thread: ACDF Surgery
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pack View Post
I am 1 week post op from ACDF surgery where I had C5-6 / C6-7 completed. Initially, my neurosurgeon convinced me to go with Iliac Crest bone graft as this provides best success rate for fusion. I was so glad when I awoke from my 5.5 hour operation to find my hip bone fully intact! Until they open you up they have no way of knowing if a bone graft will be necessary.

Just back from my 1 week check up with my family Dr. and he's very happy. Incision is almost healed. I did get some sleeping pills from him to help me get a better sleep. I'm feeling very well and the arm pain and finger numbness is gone. Most of my pain is in my upper back which is caused from muscle spasms. My throat is really quite good; just a little hard to swallow liquids. Eating is no problem. I've read so many negative posts I wanted to ensure everyone knows there are successes!! Most people who have a positive outcome don't bother posting! If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer as best as I can.

Dave
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Hi Dave
I am so glad you are doing so well! The positive responses really, really help me right now as I wait another 30 days for my surgery. (My choice - I have to have thumb reconstruction surgery on April 11 - and then waiting 11 days until round 2 with the neck surgery - doing this to combine both operations into one absence from work). I am seeing a new NS on April 4th for a third and tie-breaking opinion on which procedure to do - an ACDF or a posterior foraminotomy. I am leaning toward the smaller procedure - the foraminotomy. Wow 5.5 hours is a long surgery time! They told me 1 hour.

I think the recovery time and outcome is based on some factors. The first and most important thing - a positive attitude, a great surgeon and a lot of support and a healthy body to start with! I'm taking a jump on things and walking 3 miles a day on the treadmill now (can't run anymore as the jarring hurts me worse), eating right and keeping busy.

Again, THANK YOU for your positive post. I needed to hear some positive things as I was ready to cancel my surgery based on some of the things I was reading on this and other forums.

Hugs to you too! I hope you have a painless day of recovery today!
Diane
diane54 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
6pack (03-24-2011)