View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default vp shunt and adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrao View Post
If you had an MRI even a month ago, the setting could be off. That is what happened to me. My neurosugeon read it wrong! It was reset to lowest setting after MRI... I was severely sick and hospitalized. A resident found it was set all wrong. Always read the setting if it is adjustable yourself, when they change it. If it is OVER draining, you will feel sick
I have a programable shunt. Placed in after it was discovered I have a bilateral CSF leak. As it turns out it was a good thing I did have the programable one since I have had all 5 settings from 1-2.5. As it turns out that right now 1.5 seems perfect for me. If I had not had a programable shunt put in my doctor said he would have had to remove it already (it was put in in oct 2010.) when I was in the hospitial just after its placement I was really sick for days I just vomitted. Once they turned it back down and gave me 2 IVs of caffine my nausea finally subsided. It was definalty overdraining too much and needed to be turned back down. It did get better over time and I am thankful to have a shunt that was able to be programed. In the fall of this year my doctor is thinking of putting in a new one that actually has a shut off valve so I have even more control. Good luck.
venusny31 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote