View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 44 yr. old -L4-L5-S1 fusion

i'm 4 weeks post op.......he is right ---TAKE IT EASY AND SLOW .

i will spare u guys the agonizing tale of pain . if you r here , then u already know.

i had L4-L5-S1 fused--plates ,rod,cage. my back pain at the spine is GONE . apparently my doc used material from my left hip along with the piece of s1 floating around in there . my left hip is now my nemesis . i did not expect to go thru this without pain and recovery time , but i'm here to say my left hip hurts like hell !!! i'm a pretty tough guy and was blessed/cursed with a very high threshold for pain . oddly though i have a higher resistance to pain meds , sedatives etc...
so when i say i'm in pain....the average person would be screaming . i've done some of that since the op as well as been in tears .
i'm active and stubborn . right away , post op , i would take advantage of feeling way better a particular morning and push myself....no walker or cane and enjoy the day . BIG mistake .i payed dearly . all it took was my shoe catching something , causing me to twist and i had to jerk my body to catch myself from falling . my hip especially let me know about my poor judgement .

so now i use the walker almost every time i get up , no matter if i'm only going 6 feet away . i started taking it easy and now i can walk 1/8 mile in my driveway . still sore but walking seems to be the best exercise .
its humbling that my 4 yr. old daughter puts my socks on for me but just be prepared to take things slow . i now have been streching and i have put my own socks on 4 times now . lol .
i would like to point out a few things . the side of my left leg still feels bruised and has areas that are numb . i see the doc today , so ima ask about that . going to the bathroom is still a great chore , trying to turn to wipe(if u know what i mean ). i recommend a raised toilet seat (handicap retail store), but be SURE its one that will touch the floor . mine doesnt and i fell . soaking in epsom salt as soon as u r able was great for me . after a 2 hr soak i was feeling great .
my spine is still feeling great and no pain in my right hip AT ALL since the op .
getting this done lifted my spirits tremendously . if u r thinking about having this procedure done , maybe dont put it off for 4 yrs like i did . you r already in pain so u may as well get it over with . although my doc suggests not racing mountain bikes and hitting trees any more i think ima be just fine .
good luck to evreyone .
bak2bak is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (03-25-2011)