View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 06:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireyden View Post
my regular MD didn't even tell me I had a concussion...she said I had a "little brain bruise" and to rest the weekend. She barely wanted to write me a note to get out of work when I went back 2 weeks later!@
It is unreal to me how little doctors seem to know about concussions. Surely they have been around since human species existed. How is it possible that so little is known?

My family doctor was not even aware that concussions could last more than a week. She was completely confused by my symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmell View Post
Though many feel we are fortunate here in Canada to have a "free" medical system, it has MANY down sides. We have LONG waiting lists, especially to see neurologists, which often leads to mis-management of head injuries. I feel that if I saw a good doctor within the first week of my concussion I would have had a concussion that resolved uneventfully. Instead, I continued to try and "train" through it and ended up with severe post-concussion syndrome.

Research on things like Lyme Disease IS minimal. Much of treatment consists of "try this drug" instead of looking at lifestyle changes.

OH CANADA. Great Country, poor medical system.

Carmell
Yes, I couldn't agree more. People internationally hear of the Canadian medical system as "great" and "something to aspire to", such as in the movie Sicko. Although I appreciate the fact that health care is universal, the waste and neglect for the system causes extremely long wait times. Compounding that, the overbearing amount of work pushed onto doctors forces them to speed through everything, misdiagnosing conditions such as concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Thanks for the good news.

Hearing someone recover from PCS is now one of my great joys.

18 months is a long time, but I hope to be posting a bunch of smile faces as well.

Only really soon- 9 months. Lord willing.
PCS can be incredibly painful and frustrating. I wish you all best Jeffrey.
blackzest is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote