View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site so please bear with me while I try to figure out how to navigate thru here..lol..I have an upcoming ACDF scheduled for May 4th and am just a little weary of it. Can anyone give me any info about the experience they have had with it? I have Degenerative Disc. Disease with herniation and bulging disc in the c4-c5 and c5-c6 area.
I had C5, C6 & C7 ACDF 3 weeks ago.... the last post was correct, you'll watch lots of TV and do practically nothing. You will need to wear your collar 24/7, take you meds on a set schedule (don't wait until you hurt, then its too late), have someone helping you with EVERYTHING for the first 2 weeks, my husband is still washing and drying my hair, I can't raise my arms above my head for that long. The first 3 days are a blur, drugs are a good thing for this. Stock up on lots of your favourite liquids, lozenges for a sore throat, soft foods like pudding, yogourt, oatmeal, ensure, soups.

I have DDD with had disc herniations with osteophytes pushing on nerves, I'm better now then before surgery, but I'm still doing nothing and still on pain meds, and it's been 3 weeks. i'm slowly getting stronger each day, but it's a LONG recovery. Don't plan on going back to work too soon. I was told 6 months post op for my return.

The day of surgery isn't that bad, I was ready by the time it came, and they drug you enough that you will feel fine.

Good luck and God Bless.
Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote