View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 02:11 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Taurine for diabetics with PN:

I found this article today while searching Taurine for my kitten.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21437784

Quote:
Amino Acids. 2011 Mar 25. [Epub ahead of print]
The potential usefulness of taurine on diabetes mellitus and its complications.

Ito T, Schaffer SW, Azuma J.

Department of Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, Hyogo University of Health Sciences, 1-3-6 Minatojima, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo, 650-8530, Japan.
Abstract

Taurine (2-aminoethanesulfonic acid) is a free amino acid found ubiquitously in millimolar concentrations in all mammalian tissues. Taurine exerts a variety of biological actions, including antioxidation, modulation of ion movement, osmoregulation, modulation of neurotransmitters, and conjugation of bile acids, which may maintain physiological homeostasis. Recently, data is accumulating that show the effectiveness of taurine against diabetes mellitus, insulin resistance and its complications, including retinopathy, nephropathy, neuropathy, atherosclerosis and cardiomyopathy, independent of hypoglycemic effect in several animal models. The useful effects appear due to the multiple actions of taurine on cellular functions. This review summarizes the beneficial effects of taurine supplementation on diabetes mellitus and the molecular mechanisms underlying its effectiveness.

PMID: 21437784 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
It is rather a new paper. I have used taurine for sluggish gall bladder issues in the past. And I have seen it listed as a supplement for people with insulin resistance.

I think one would need at least 1000mg a day. Perhaps 2000.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Indian Spirit (04-11-2011)