View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 11:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Member pre-MMN diagnosis

Hi I am Bill in Denver and have had nerve/muscle issues for about 2 years now. I have seen many medical folks and think I have MMN. I will be returning to my neurologist who hinted at MMN last time I saw him 8 months ago. Has anyone with MMN experienced speech changes? Specifically when I am tired I can not say long poly-syllabic words very clearly. I also have neck cramps.

My progesssion of symptoms is a as follows:

4 yrs ago did fair bit of construction on my home and end of day got hand cramps when using them.
2.5 yrs ago started a one year long major remodeling project and first noticed I could not turn a key. Then noticed my muscle between my thumb and pointer was shrinking so went to an orthopedic DR who took Xrays of my head (looking for tumors) shoulder and an MRI, an EMG, and a battery of blood tests (metals too). Abandoned them and wet to hand surgeon who freaked out and called his neurologist. Went to neurologist who did more EMG work, and an MRI of my neck and shoulder looking for pinched nerves and other stuff. He felt strongly I did not have ALS or MS which made me happy. He hinted at MMN. I lost my job so have not pursued it further. During this time (1.5 yrs) I did extensive chiro and massage of the arm ad shoulder hoping to losen any pinching that cold be causing this problem. IN the last 10 months have had no treatment and my right thumb is useless, arm muscles are thinner, hand muscle mass is thinner in palm and back f hand, left hand is feeling weaker, and have twitching everywhere. My neck is also cramping a bit more and my speech is affected, mostly at night when tired. Last two weeks I saw an accupuncturist who put needles everywhere but also did e-stimulation for abut 40 minutes on both arms between forearm and thumb. She has also recommended some Herbal remedy that helps nerves. So what started these problems??? 1. major life change (got divorced, happy but anxious), stared a job with 2.5 hrs of commute daily, lots of mouse use, did major construction for a year after work in an old 1922 house so maybe metals impact, and lastly been eating much more red meat and lots of cheese (but it tastes so good and quick to prepare), and got remarried and moved to new house...so stress, metals, meat, and heavy construction. Anyone in Denver that can recommend a MMN experienced DR?

Anyone experiencing the neck cramps and speech problems? Anyone have a possible cause/trigger for their MMN?
BillinDenver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote