View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

2 months after my concussion I had a relapse after being released to run and workout again.. SEVERE depressive episodes, similar to the ones that I had initially after my concussion..

This was the first time seeing this particular gp. She said:

"I can't see how this is related to your concussion. You didn't lose consciousness during your concussion? Are you sure you're not pregnant? Pregnancy causes mood swings. Is there anything else going on in your life?"

She then proceeded to give me a prescription to Lexapro..... what?!

First of all, how INSULTING. I'm 19 years old and the fact that she wasn't even listening to me, yet inquiring if I was pregnant or if something else was making me upset, was extremely frustrating.

It's pretty much common sense that it was related to my concussion:
1. never had depression in my entire life
2. similar episodes as initially after my concussion
3. last time I checked, pregnancy does not cause suicidal thoughts/uncontrollable crying spells for hours a day/inability to function in society emotionally
4. the only thing that had changed in my behavior is the fact that I started running and working out again, which exacerbated my symptoms... DUH!!!!!!

As you can see, I was extremely frustrated from that appointment. Luckily, I found a great doctor shortly after who specializes in concussions. I'm so glad you're doing this thread. My venting session is now over.
Kelly50179 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote