View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 7 Weeks Post Concussion

Hey...I want you to know I'm going through something pretty similar and I'm going to use this thread as an emotional outlet for what I'm going through...because I really need it.

7 weeks ago I fell snowboarding and had whiplash and a concussion. I remember the events prior and after the accident, however unfortunately I did not recognize I was concussed and continued drinking many beers well into the night...the next morning I had a normal hangover.
It wasn't for 3 days later that I started to really experience symptoms...of which were: Headaches, dizziness, vertigo, fatigue, confusion, crazy ringing and pain in the ears, some nausea...then about 3 weeks after I realized my jaw alignment was way off and had major pain and clicking....so thats the physical stuff...as for mental and emotional, I couldnt agree more how alienated from the people in my life i feel. I'm feeling depressed, some anxiety, confused sometimes, irritable, mood swings.

The problem too was that I tried to mask my symptoms and never really gave myself enough rest in the first weeks prior the concussion...which i really regret now. Only right now 7 weeks later am i fully understanding how i feel and what i SHOULDN'T DO to make things worse...however, i know very little about what i SHOULD do to make things better.

The hardest part is definitely just not feeling normal/nonreality when im alone and with people...some of my friends dont seem to understand what im going through as i look and sound fine...but really inside my head things are not right...7 weeks later and these are still my symptoms: ringing in ears, light headedness, dizzy, minor vertigo, no alcohol tolerance, minor reading and concentration issues, sensative to sound, irritable, fatigue, and obsessing over my symptoms...I'm scared that I wont get better, however, I am optimistic I will.

These are things I am going to do improve my recovery:
-join a mediation class
-no alcohol
-remove myself from stressful situations
-have a better diet
-get support from a few trustworthy good friends to visit with daily and keep me stoked...this includes speaking with my brothers and parents over the phone as often as possible
-no intense physical exercise for the next month - a short light walk per day
-I've found photography has helped...i can walk slowly around town and be completely focused on taking pictures, with little to know focus on my symptoms.
-Also, I found one toke of good organic weed allowed my to really feel and understand my symptoms, however that was just once and i wont again until i feel better.

Ultimately, I am optimistic i will get better. The brain is fragile but also plastic and changeable...drink ginger root tea, think positively, try painting or drawing or just being creative on paper or with crafts, I've also been doing puzzles.

This felt great to get out and best of luck to anyone and everyone out there with this problem...DO NOT DRINK OR DO DRUGS if you had a concussion and DO NOT EXERCISE INTENSELY until you've recovered. Im not a doctor but both these things have hindered my healing for sure.

Any other advice would be great but I think ive already ready every last bit of information on this.
Nitro157 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote