View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linter View Post
Rick: for the three things above, could you give me a brand name to buy and a possible dosage? tia!

Linter-
I will be happy to share my opinions, but first let me make you aware of the current state of affairs in PD research. First, nobody knows what PD is so it is all opinion. Anyone who claims certainty is best viewed askance, including yours truly. (Though Lord knows it is hard to stay humble. )

PD is almost certainly at least two different but related disorders. One is called "Senior Onset" and is a result of our immune systems malfunctioning as they age. The second is "Young Onset" and involves a similar malfunction of the immune system that comes from exposure to pathogens at critical times in our early lives. The same exposure also messes up our endocrine system's stress circuits. All this damages our nervous systems directly and produces chemicals that interfere with normal function as well.

All this overlaps, as well. There are no clear lines between Senior and Young Onset and the problems with the immune, endocrine, and nervous systems fade into each other to make one big mess.

That is the twenty-five cent tour and I offer it so that you can understand why I have my ideas and why Soccertease has his and why everyone who looks at it has theirs and why this is simultaneously the greatest problem in finding a "cure" and the greatest hope. Research under the direction of Big Pharma for the last fifty years has been pursuing a treatment that fits their business model of "one disease - one pill" and PD refuses to cooperate. PD is a "diversified" disorder with different factors adding up to produce it. So, IMHO , a "diversified" treatment is in order.

To me, that means putting out as many of the fires as possible in hopes of allowing our body systems to regain their balance. The three biggest "fires" that we know of in PD are inflammation in the nervous system, failure of the mitochondrial power plants in our cells, and oxidation damage - thus my advice.

Now, after that long-winded introduction , I will answer your question with the understanding that I am not a doctor but merely a PWP who reads too much-
Just as the "causes" overlap, so do the treatments. They are plant polyphenols and are effective, relatively safe, and time tested for the most part.

Turmeric, Green Tea Extract, and Ginger are a good start. Much more than that and you run into "pill fatigue." There are many others buried in our scientific archives that didn't merit Big Pharma's attention (thus the opportunities), but these will help to stabilize things for now. I do suggest that she start with a pre-emptive mindset.

Two other things to be aware of - stress and infections. Both these can kick PD into overdrive. In fact, I consider stress to be one of the primary causes. So, meditation and exercise are suggested. Infection amplifies the autotoxic problems in the immune system. In particular, periodontal and urinary tract infections can be overlooked and should be suspects if symptoms should worsen.

As for brands and dosages, I like Jarrow and NOW for supplements in general because of their quality. Start with the dosages suggested on the label. (BTW, another advantage of this approach is that these are cheap)

i woke up at 4 this morning sobbing and rolled out of bed so as not to wake my girlfriend. it's not rick's posts here that did it to me; instead, it's some of the others by other people in other threads, such despair and agony and the wishing to die. it breaks my heart and scares the crap out of me, thinking of my gf in that situation and of me being in that situation, too.

i once stayed in a very bad marriage for 19 years because we had a child born with a birth defect who needed us.

at least in my current relationship i'm as happy as i can be. i hope it lasts through the trials to come. i pray.

i guess the main reason for the big morning sob is that by posting here i've exposed myself to certain realities that i'd been ignoring ever since the diagnosis. maybe i'd be better off sticking my head back in the sand. at least i'd be happier for a little while. i don't know.

well, that's all i can muster for now. jesus.
Linter, a final word. The "realities" are by no means "certain" and you are very much in a position to shape them with your support and encouragement. Have you ever read Dickens' The Christmas Carol? You are, in a sense, seeing "Christmas yet to come" The decisions you make will determine the reality.

(Apologies to all for running on so.)
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote