View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Neck Traction Helped Me

I highly recommend neck traction. My recovery was helped a lot, but I would be very careful about trying it yourself if your injury is severe. If not, the other posts were great about how to find the info online.

My PT sessions consisted of 30 minutes of neck traction and stretching. The key is to find the right amount of tension and pull.

During my first few sessions I was overstretched and had severe dizziness. I would recommend not driving to your therapy sessions. I had to be very specific if I felt anything while being stretched. At the slightest uncomfortable feeling my PT would stop because you can really feel it later. The uncomfortableness and pain would last for days. After the initial sessions, it started to get so much better! Its amazing what the right amount of traction can to to release pressure.

My PT recommended that for at home traction to use a phonebook. It is worth giving it a try.

Also, ask for stretches that you can do yourself at home. It is very hard to stretch the sternocleidomastoid muscle without having some nausea. I still have to stretch my neck daily (pcs 15 months) because of the severity of the impact.

I use the heating pad everyday and that is so helpful. Also I have a special neck pillow that I use. My PT said a towel roll is helpful to a lot of people.

My neck got a lot better but it took a while. Take it easy and don't turn your head fast or try to strain it while driving for example. Best wishes.
postconcussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote