View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow!! Patients lie. That sure sums it up doesnt it. What cynics. I dont get the up side to assumimg people lie. Does it make it easier for them? I guess I could see this with my doc. He doesnt have to be concerned or dig or refer on if he assumes this. He has been wrong twice in that he was stunned when it turned out I had Sjogrens. He said who diagnosed it!! I said the internist I asked you to send me to at the university. He was further stunned that she was not a Rheumy and knew that. Then with getting the report on my MG from Dr S he is wrong about that too. So what would make him start to believe me? Major surgery? Dying?

I called the 2 doc names I had this morn. The best one I got a cold no when I said what my insurance was. I asked do you understand that medicaid is my secondary insurance and Medicare is first so you do get paid by both? She ahd already said no and she was standing by it. The next one had a nicer office person who got what I was saying about both. She said she had to ask. I wonder what they would have said if I just said Medicare. They didnt react till I said medicaid. With economic crisis and all in our country I get why they are doing this. but after seeing people on TV last nite in wheelchairs on Skid row in LA this is a true sad statement on ignoring people that need help and a loss of the doctor who truly cares or 'can' afford to care.

Annie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach73 View Post
Thanks for your post.

It really is a struggle I think to get any dr to listen to you even if you have a diagnosis. I am going to tell you a true story but change some names!

I have a friend lets call her suzie shes training to be a dr and she got sick the same year as me, same symptoms as me facial weakness and ptosis. As she is a Uni she sees the campus doc who refers her to neuro opthalmologist. He does an MRI and says she has a really rare type of brain tumour a facial nerve neuroma. It takes her two years to convince her normal neurologist of this diagnosis. Because the neurologist said she hadn't seen it in 27 years of practice - it couldn't be. Fast forward a few years Suzie has had part of her skull removed to allow tumour to grow so it doesn't interfere with her studies. She develops vertigo and is rushed to our local hospital.

The neurology team (same ones I have had to deal with) tell her she doesn't have a tumour it has been removed (it hasn't only part of her skull). She spends 4 days telling them she has a facial nerve neuroma and they don't believe her! She then rings her consultant in another part of the UK to deal with the consultants here.

When she asked the neurologist why he refused to believe her he told her "Patients lie". Sort of sums up the problem with neurologists doesn't it. If they haven't come across it, it goesn't exist!
Annie59 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote