Thread: Which surgery
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 04:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane54 View Post
Leesa, I know you are only trying to help some of us to decide whether to get surgery or not. I was really scared by your post of not to get surgery and almost considered canceling, until I talked to my physician and he said that the "success stories are not posting very much on forums -- after they heal and recover, they get back to life and don't have a need to read the forums." I am a newbie here, but a very positive person and realize the dangers of surgery, but also am frustrated by the pain and lack of ability to do the things I love -- tennis, golf, and so on.

I have gone to PT 43 times, physiatrist, massage therapy too many times to count and have had a good outcome with epidurals but doesn't last long enough.

I think we have to try to make an informed decision, but just realize not everyone will have an awful outcome. I feel bad for you that your outcome was not what you hoped for but others have had good outcomes with the surgery.

I work in the medical field and I trust the doctors I go to give me good advice. The person who you are answering is looking for advice on a discogram, so it means the physicians are looking for the disc causing her pain which is a good thing to do before surgery, even tho this is a painful test.

It has taken me 18 months to make a decision to get surgery and I am getting one more opinion next week and may even switch to this NS since he comes highly recommended.

I thank you for making us aware of the dangers of surgery, but for some surgery is a viable option to be considered AFTER all other avenues have been explored.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to vent.

Hope every one has a pain-free day!
Dear Leesa,

My husband has had 3 back surgeries. 2 lumbar L4-L5. The first lumbar was not done properly 4 years later he had a complete revision done in NYC by a top spine surgureon a complete success, no meds. just advil on occassion it was truly a miracle. It did take some time getting there but the 2nd was a complete sucess. His 3rd was cervical on 2/25/11 he had no pain presented itself in his hand and 4 weeks out he is doing well. His hand is coming back and will start OT tomorrow and he can drive already. We used the same doctors and hospital as his second lumbar. I do agree only have spine surgery if you have to and go to someone that only is a spine/neuro surgeon and you here success stories from his/her patients.

My husband and I have both have orthopedic issues and have found out the hard way you have to go to the best. It is truly a miracle we both have come out ok. I almost lost my arm in 2003. Again same hospital ofcourse different doctor, but again did not go there first.

You seem to be doing you research, I'm sure you will be fine. Wish you the best.

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote