View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Ephie,

I don't think physical conditioning would change the impact the recovery from a concussion. The research into athletes has more to do with return to play or maintaining conditioning. The brain is quite good at regulating blood flow regardless of the condition of the subject. The concussed brain may be deficient in this blood flow controls.

Yes, as a basic rule of thumb, good blood flow is important. But,,,,the brain heals or restores cells health during sleep, specifically REM sleep. The important condition needed is good REM sleep with adequate oxygenation.

The non-athlete may actually heal better due to their lower body stress levels. Athletes tend to want to get busy with conditioning. The muscular cell damage/repair stronger exercise cycle would, at least in my mind, put extra stress on the body with the waste from muscle repair.

Research into concussions is driven by the sports industry. There is very little research that does not have a sports or warfare foundation. The return to play or return to war or return to society after coming home from war dictates the need for research. The remainder of concussion subjects are left out of the equation.

To add to this problem, the other concussion subjects do not fit any demographic group causing a concentration of post concussion care as is the case with the VA Hospitals and sport/team physicians. Even the sports research is slow. Dr Robert Cantu aided by a pathologist in Boston first notice CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) over 20 years ago. But,,, Nobody paid any attention to their published research.

It was only when players started complaining and suing the Football Players Association for being unresponsive to their needs that things started to happen. It has been a long hard uphill climb even after the stats of early dementia and suicide became known.

There are so many unknowns regarding the intensity and progression of concussion symptoms due to the many falsehoods about concussion promoted by the ignorant healthcare industry. Researchers are just starting to promote the idea of properly tracking in medical records the impact reported regardless of the absence of immediate symptoms.

They have found that many neurological problems reported at a later date can be traced back tot eh undocumented concussion. Without the prior concussion in the medical record, these problems are often diagnosed as psychological or psychiatric in nature and cause.

I have a note of my concussions suffered over the past 56 years. Most would not be considered concussions by the medical establishment. My knowledge tells me otherwise. To make matters worse, many concussions are forgotten or even never remembered due to the immediate amnesia of the moments of the concussion.

The brain struggles to store information that is in a local time proximity to any brain trauma. It does not necessarily relate to the intensity of the impact. Research shows that impact force does not have a direct relationship to immediate or prolonged symptoms. There are just too many variables.

If you have specific questions, you will likely find more information here than at your doctor's office.

btw, If you use the "Post Reply" button to the lower left of the bottom post, it will not quote the last post. Not much need to waste so much screen space.

As a last comment, being lethargic and inactive does not help with recovery. The brain does need some stimulation. The intensity of that stimulation is dependent on the reaction or relapse tendencies of the subject.

Have you downloaded and read Dr Glen Johnson's TBI Survival Guide? It is fabulous. It is at www.tbiguide.com

If you find it helpful, send him a few bucks to help him keep his web expenses covered. He does this as a service from his heart.

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote