View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Heart Hope for PCS turned to Prolonged/Persistent Post Concussion Syndrom

I am nearly 16 months Post-Concussion due to car accident (severely rear-ended) and have now 'graduated' to PPCS - Prolonged/Persistent PCS.

My main symptoms at this point are: headache, (coming from the back/bottom of my skull and reaching around to the top of my skull), wooziness (feeling like I just got off a cruise ship, but didn't get to ride!?!), tinnitus and lack of energy, especially when exerting myself (or trying to, I should say).

While I am making progress, (even just 3 weeks ago another layer of 'fog' lifted in my brain) it is very slow and hard to discern, at times, because I have multiple injuries relating directly to the accident.

I press on, though, and am very hopeful for a total recovery - in Jesus' name AMEN!

I have had great success with Massage Therapy, currently 3xs/wk thanks to my wonderful Ortho Surgeon Doc (although the Cranial Sachral work makes me extra woozy doozy) and excellent progress in overcoming the Vertigo stuff from a Physical Therapist who had special training in 'dizziness treatment' - some call it "Balance therapy" - I highly recommend it!

I have already experienced 3 setbacks due to my own 'overactivity' (have so much going on & initially thought, wrongfully, staying active would help!) and 3 breakthroughs (where the "fog" has lifted!) during the span on my recovery. I find myself asking "how much more fog is in there"? Who knows, but God. I focus on my successes and breakthroughs along the way and am so thankful I can function somewhat now; but also am very aware of my limitations.

I have not been able to return to working full-time as a Substitute Teacher, which is what I was doing before the accident. I work just one day a week, every other week, and have been off for the last 3 in order to focus more on my recovery!

It's been hard for me, as a Mom & person who likes to serve/give to others, for me to focus on me, but that is important for now. I was VERY active before this accident, never had any physical limitations like this before (appedectomy @ age 17, about 2 weeks down, and Mono @ age 19, about a 3 month recovery).

I believe if God allowed this, He will bring me through! I pray and ask Him to lead me to the best Docs/PTs/MTs, etc, and He sure has. I am right now praying/looking for a new Neurologist who is more familiar with PCS/PPCS. Mine isn't terrible, just non-active about it. Be blessed and rest up - hope you're better soon!

Anyone else out there experienced success after a year+ of PCS/PPCS?
woozydoozycindy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote