View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

One thing I might add, chronic pain is not easily controlled. Therefore as patients we each have to find what works better for us, even though nothing works perfectly. I have been on low doses of norco/vicodin (≤ 1000mgs/day) for years, and supplement that with mmj, meditation and yoga breathing, and other means of shifting the focus away from the pain.

I highly recommend that anyone serious about learning to cope with pain that will never get better learn one or more alternative techniques to cope with their pain. Mindfulness meditation is being used for pain and PTSD for our war disabled, and is an excellent way to learn to focus on the moment without judgment or evaluation of the quality of that moment. It is not a simple thing to learn, and I am still struggling with it, but learning the breathing alone is a big help. Most of us hold our breath when stressed or hurt . . . depriving our bodies of oxygen. This is counterproductive to pain management. Learning to move your focus from intense pain to deep breathing can be a very beneficial first step.

In addition to my pain meds, I use breathing, some yoga stretching and meditation, music, incense, and in the last year, a singing bowl, the sound of which helps me to center my attention on my being and away from my pain.

Singing bowl audio: http://www.bodhisattva-store.com/lis...61%20final.mp3 It is played by striking the edge or running the mallet around the rim to produce the constant ringing. I own a bowl tuned to "D" . . . which also happens to be the second chakra, or the sacral chakra, where the most damage to my body has been experienced through illness and surgery. And. . . it "spoke' to me the first time it was played. More on chakra sounds used for healing: http://www.soundessence.net/chakras.php

Don't get me wrong, though. I still have moments when I am in tears . . . or in spastic agony. But when I do remember to breathe, to refocus, I am amazed how much better I do getting through it . . .
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (04-03-2011)