View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

hi mrsd and thank you for the compliment.

i use whatever paint i have. in my kitchen i mainly use house paint, so the colors would match the rest of the house. the other paints that work well and come in all colors are the craft paints by Plaid. they are inexpensive, less than a dollar at walmart. and sure saves time on mixing.

Plaid also has a gel type of medeum that you can mix in the paints to extend the drying time. this is wonderful when you are shading and blending colors. oh...and watch the real cheap brands of the craft paints, they are very thin and the colors tend to fade fast. learned this the hard way years ago.

you do want to make sure your paint is thick. thin paint can run. tubes of artist paint are more expensive. for a large project...not in my budget.

since you used an oil based sealer, then a thin coat of a something like kilz would be best to prep the surface. drys fast and really seals any discolorations. when i painted the murals at the schools i used this. kilz now comes in many colors and you can probably find the right shade for a good background and save you time there.

i use chalk to draw before painting. you can see that on grandmonkeys hummer. just disapears and no worries about lines showing.

the movie crowd scene took me 2 days. i drew it one day and painted the next. it only has a few colors, so that saves time. the biggest time saver on that one.....i used a black paint pen for all the lines! then all i had to do was fill in with paint.

i think that scene would be beautiful mrsd. i can pm you with other hints if you decide to do this.

julie, if you decide to...let me know. i have lots of paint brushes...and gallons of paint.

oh..you are so right mrsd. leaving these behind is pretty sad. but.....fresh walls await me somewhere. and the time it takes to paint, it sure gives me something to do when i can't sleep because of pain. it is quiet...so i don't wake up the family.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote