View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks!

Thank you all for your responses.

I was also very confused by my neurologist because the symptoms do seem like PCS to me, but he was absolutely sure that there’s no way that is what I have or that I even need an MRI. I had tension-type headaches before my accident (most likely due to some disc issues at the back of my neck), but never a true migraine with any nausea, dizziness, blurriness or sensitivity to light. All those symptoms are new.

I have been very frustrated with the way that doctors don’t seem to take this seriously. My family doctor is away until the end of April, and when I saw her stand-in, he banged on my knees and elbows with the rubber mallet and told me there’s no way it’s PCS because my reflexes are fine and told me I have the flu of all things (???) I’ve been getting mixed messages from everyone, but do feel that PCS is very likely.

The neurologist advised me that being on birth control pills could be triggering migraines, so I stopped last week and so far my headaches have actually been worse. I find the things that help are: drinking lots of water, physiotherapy for my neck, staying away from sunlight (not really something I can turn into a lifestyle!) and placing a heating pad at the back of my neck. But that is very temporary and the symptoms usually come back within a few hours. I have researched feverfew as a possible relief, but I’m worried because I have low blood platelets (always have) and I don’t want anything that could increase risk of bleeding. I will look into a B2 supplement. Right now I am taking a B12 supplement, but that’s because my numbers have always been low. It’s not helping with the symptoms.

My main concern right now is the exercise, because I have some weight to lose, and I don’t want to wait for possibly months before my symptoms go away. But I also don’t’ want to make my situation worse. Do you think light exercise such as elliptical, bike, yoga, stretching, squats, lunges, etc. are okay for me to try? I like the suggestion of giving it a go and seeing if my symptoms get worse, but that might be hard to tell as I’m dizzy and have head pain to start with. I would love to run, but that sounds like it would shake my head around too much. Any advice you can provide me with would be great!! (Until I see my family doctor at the end of April and hopefully she can refer me to another neurologist and for an MRI!)
kayseeah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote