View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
kayseeah,

Your doctors are clueless about concussion. They seem like they were trained in the dark ages. Their reasons you cannot be suffering from PCS are signs of their ignorance. Reflex tests are meaningless as is the comment about six weeks post injury. Reflex tests might show a positive result if they are repeated at least a dozen times or more. This sometimes causes neurological fatigue with the resulting positive response.

An MRI is almost sure to be negative. Unless you have disabling headaches with other concurrent serious neurological symptoms, you will likely be just wasting time and money.

A fasting/low calorie type of diet with proper nutritional supplements (B-2, B-6, B-12, niacin, Omega 3's, folic acid) may be more tolerable. The brain can survive on low calorie consumption by using the ketones from the liver.

You neck condition may be a leading cause of your headaches. Continue to get treatment for your neck, including some light traction is possible.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of doctors are clueless about concussion.

There are two drugs that are sometimes used for PCS headaches. Amitryptiline (Elavil) in small (10mgs) doses and cyproheptadine (Periactin) if you can tolerate it. For me the Periactin causes serious depression.

Hope you find some relief. I live with headaches and know how they can effect your daily life.

My best to you.
Thank you for the help, Mark. I appreciate it! Yes, it does seem that my doctors don't know what they are talking about. I am hoping that my family doctor will at least take me seriously, but I have doubts. I think the MRI, for me, is just more of a "peace of mind" request, and I don't think an unreasonable one considering the extent of my car accident. (I'm actually surprised that nobody gave me a head scan right after! My car was totaled.)

Do you, or does anyone else, know the best TYPE of exercise for me to try right now? I am getting married within a few months and really want to look and feel my best.

Thank you.
kayseeah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote