View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi.

I am hysterical.

Just got off the phone with the guy in India. Nicest guy. He was especially nice after I told him I used to work for an Indian company in NYC for 10 years and I spoke to him in his native language. He got such a kick out of that.

He did EXACTLY as you suggested. The Control Alt Delete thing. Task manager, etc. He showed me what he was doing and I followed him.

He was looking for a 3 letter file with the .exe extention. I said "Oh, an executable file? He said "Exactly"

he explained how the XP Antivirus 2011 renames itself and gets into the internet files and that's why I could not get onto Internet Explorer before. I kept getting "Warning, warning, danger danger, download XP Security Anti-virus 2011", which we all know IS BAD, IS A VIRUS AND I'M NOT DOWLOADING THIS.

Initially we booted up in safe mode, and I still could not load up IE.

That's when we did a few things together, he was able to remotely go on my system, and he took it from there, AND THAT'S WHEN HE SHOWED ME THE TASK MANAGER THING.

I learned so much today, I can't tell you. Not that I'm like this guy or like you guys, but hey, I LEARNED SOMETHING TODAY.

I have a case number with Mcafee and they told me I can always call them, that's what they are there for.

He also told me that if I had Windows 7, the virus would call itself Windows & Security Antivirus 2011.

So I know in the future to look for a 3 letter file with a .exe after it.

I hope this never happens again, but hey, I learned something today.

It's amazing that you know exactly what that guy was walking me through.

Amazing.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (04-01-2011)