Thread: Trigger Points
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default More Hindsight....

Many years ago when my journey was beginning I learned that there are massage therapists and there are massage therapists. Licensing/certification is different in almost every state as far as education/training and testing/examinations go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massage#United_States

The first therapist I went to was licensed by the state, but did not perform the type of massage she was licensed for (even when I requested it) because she said it hurt her hands, so she limited her practice to Shiatsu. Turned out the only training she had in Shiatsu was a weekend long seminar and reading a couple of books. On the third visit she began waving her hands over me and chanting.... that was enough - I was outta there.

Eventually, I found a licensed therapist certified in myofascial trigger point therapy (and others) with credentials up the wazoo, member of the NAMTPT,15 years experience, and college level instructor in same. It made all the difference in the world, and her rates were the same as the first bozo.

Check these "therapists" out carefully. Quiz them about their education, licensing & certifications, experience in the type of massage you're seeking, professional affiliations, etc., and then verify.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (04-02-2011)