View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 02:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I too use JH for most of my care

What questions to ask all depends on what testing you've already had done, what treatments/meds you're taking, and whether symptoms have changed.

Sorry I don't know your history, so what I say may be useless.

If there is any question of an autoimmune process, then you should see a rheumatologist for a proper work up and labs to rule out lupus, RA, Sjogren's, etc. A positive ANA, can indicate an AI process, but more defined tests need to be done to confirm. Once you are in the JH system, it is easier to get into other appts. So my first question would be to ask him to consider this angle and maybe for a rheumy consult if he thinks it's a likely cause of your problems.

The symptoms mentioned are leg pain, numbness, and weakness. I'll assume you have had an EMG. How long ago? Do you have other signs of AI disease...other than +ANA? If so, what?

If you have not had a skin biopsy for small fiber, JH has an excellent lab for this.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neuro...ous_nerve_lab/

Do you plan to stay there for testing...or come back if they order tests? The going back and forth can take a toll, but they have schedulers that can coordinate testing together (they are used to this with people coming from all over).

I hope you hand carry your records and important tests results...even places like JH lose records.

Ask him look at your meds for possible causes of PN also. Tell him not only what your symptoms are but how they have changed...and when.

Sorry I don't have more to offer.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (04-02-2011)