View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

The Beta version's 11.04?? ares usually still in a testing mode or not totally stable - so don't keep that one, if that is what you have dnloaded.

The 10.10 dnload link is below.

The cd they send might arrive faster than they estimate - it all depends on volunteers and such. and the mail.
I sent for one during the holidays and it only took 7 wks.
I would order one since it's free and just in case we can't get the self burned one to work for you.

here's the link to dnload 10.10 version -
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

On that same page lower down there are gray buttons that say show me how - they turn red when cursor goes near them.
click those for more info.

If your burner says - "burn as ISO " then that is what you would use to burn the Ubuntu downloaded .iso file with.
Use a slow burn speed for best results - if you can set it slower.

then to test it just place it in the cd or dvd drive and do a reboot.

Oh, do you know if your computer checks the dvd/cd drives before booting from the hard drive?
those ldvd/cd ights would blink on at start up first usually.
and then the hard drive light will go on and windows will boot then with the hard drive sounds.

Or you can just try the burned cd/dvd in both players to see if it loads or not, if not then we can look at your bios settings to see if those drives are first on the boot list or not.
It's good to have it set to do that first at boot in case of a HD or OS major malfunction, then if you have a repair or restore cd then you can boot and repair when you can't get to the OS to boot via the hard drive.

I tried the USB way and it didn't work for me

and I have burned a couple of the ISO cd/dvd at too high of speed and they won't load. so set yours at the slowest speed if you can.
If you need a burn program (free)I have the best luck with Ashampoo burning studio 6 - http://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0...rning-Studio-6

ok what else,
If we get the burned one to load and open all you do is play around and check it out - right off the cd, no changes are made to your system at all.
It will be slower than if it is installed on the HD but just to get a feel for it it is a great way to go.
hopefully it will see all it needs to display and connect with out any input by you.
Ubuntu is pretty good about that - should work right from the get go.

The other distros I had to click a few things to get the first wireless connection made , but you are wired so should be just fine- and Ubuntu saw my wireless connection automatically.