View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wn0anc View Post
I have the Duodopa pump and I am functioning for the most part nearly normal when it is on, and I cannot walk, shower, dress myself, eat, etc when it is off. Yes it helps THAT MUCH!!! Without it I would have to have DBS, that or constant care and pain meds for the dystonia. The tube entrance site on my abdomen is NOT a problem to maintain. I just wash the site everyday along with my regular shower, that's it. This pump is giving me a semi nearly normal life and without it I would most likely be in a wheel chair tucked away in a care facility somewhere..... I encourage everyone who no longer responds well to the pill form of Sinimet to consider it. It is not a miracle, as I still have down days mixed with better ones, but the on/off periods are much lower in intensity and much more gradual in duration. I could not go back to oral Sinimet even if I wanted to because of severe dystonia. I am hopeful that this pump may forestall ever needing DBS. I have been friends with this device for 14 months. I got it when it was open label, no placebo.

PM me with questions. I also have a much better way to carry the pump than the supplied fanny pack. Photos if you're interested.

Me

I'm usually pretty technically adept, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to PM you . . . I'd love to see photos. My father is undergoing surgery to implant the pump at the end of the month and I would love to make some things for him to make it easier to carry. I'm so hopeful about this . . . it's been 15 years since I've gotten a good hug from him . . .

Alison
SWer4Deaf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote