Thread: Help Help!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi. I'm getting quite good at this virus thingee.

Alan was at a GREEN site and the virus came back. He looked at me and said "It wasn't me this time".

I remembered what the tech guy did.

I did the Task Manager thing. I recognized a 3 letter thing and it was cym.exe. My computer would not let me get on the internet no matter what I tried.

I remembered how the tech guy got on. He went to Start - Run, and he typed in www.ie.explorer.com and he got on.

So I did it. I got on. I then googled cym.exe and it was a rogue spyware thing.

I then remembered how to disable the thing by re-nameing it. I did the My compuer, tools - folder options, Select view, Under hidden files and folders, I selected Show hidden files and folders. etc. etc. etc. I did it all

I then had to find the cym.exe. I found it and re-named it.

I then rebooted my comptuter. No more virus BUT.... now I get the "open with" pop up whenever I try to left click on ANYTHING.

I know this has something to do with registry and taking out the .exe

I don't know what to do next.

If you explain to me how I can get rid of the "open with", then I will have, for the first time in my life, I will have GOTTEN RID OF A VIRUS WITHOUT HAVING TO CALL MCAFEE.

Now wouldn't THAT be something??

lol
Melody

Then once I do this, I will try and learn the linux thing.

Thanks for your help.
Honestly, I don't know when I'm coming back on this forum (to post replies). We are having a very sad time with our son and we have lots of stuff to deal with.

Thanks much
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote